Modelling, Texturing and Lighting in Maya. Comp done in Potoshop.
To make an underwater scene and to light it.
During the course of this project I have discovered a whole lot about how to
– make achievable goals
– to set reasonable time frames
– to factor in render time
– to factor in the render error correction
– to handle Maya scene files
– to use different size maps for different objects in the scene.
– the importance of depth of field
– the use of post production and composting
– how to understand a scene and split it into its basic components
– how to construct a scene by sketching it in side view and top view to get a clear concept of the scene.
I wanted to make a video out put of the underwater scene but due to certain errors with the scene rendering was not completed. I could salvage only 85 frames form the batch render. and this itself had consumed a huge chunk of my time, so to balance my work I had to problem solve. I decided to render out a single image render and work on it. I have tried my best to get a video but my maya scene refuses to co operate. I have made a lot of changes to the scene to solve other problems like the empty fore ground. added rocks to the sides to fill the empty space.
– reduced the ships poly count to a minimum.
– cleaned the history of the entire story twice
– put all the mesh in to layers hid them and tried opening the scene
– Importing the scene into MAYA 2014 and 2015 to see which works.
– I have juggled between MAYA 2014- 2015 to do most of the work for the scene cause it was the only way to complete my weekly goals.
– A major problem was with the Z_depth pass, when i try to apply the pass the whole scene corrupts its self and crashes. all the mess looses its material and only the wire frame shows up with out any material to the mesh. I had to make the depth in comp by adding in shadows overlaying fog and faking reflections.
I worked on 2014 to make the submersible, the foreground, mid and the background and to render them I have used MAYA 2015. regardless of the software or the version I have to my satisfaction managed to make the best of my time and talents and problem solving skills to deliver a good out put.
I have now gathered a clear idea on how to plan, schedule, gather resources, problem solve and to do basic comp. This will help me to work efficiently in my major project.